The Weather and Everyone's Health
Wednesday, April 20, 2005
 
Coming to you live from...The San Francisco Public Library (Main Branch)!

This is like the coolest places ever. Libraries make my heart pound anyway, and this one ranks right up there with the main stacks at UC Berkeley. Actually, the layout seems a little similar, because it has a large, sunny atrium with a spiral staircase in the middle. There are different "centers" in the library for different groups (including a Chinese center, a Filipino-American center, a teen center and the James Hormel Gay and Lesbian center--how cool is that?) and best of all free wireless internet (don't even need a library card) and lots of outlets at tables. There's a big section on job hunting and education (maybe a good place to come when I'm comparing grad schools) and the international section even has books in Hindi and Gujrati. The only complaint I have is that it gets a little noisy, I think with noise from the atrium echoing and wafting in. But other positives include a wide variety of clientele (it's good to see the library serving all the people--or at least looking like it does) and interesting artwork.

So here's a question: Is it clear on my blog when links are included, or should I fiddle with my settings so the color is more dramatically different?

In other news, I went to the UCSF temp office this morning for intake stuff. My typing speed only registered as 71 WPM today. :-( I think the time I clocked in at 80 I was having an exceptionally good day, and today I was a little off, but also the keyboard was sticky and I couldn't adjust the angle for maximum ergonomicity. Anyway, good news is that 70% of their temporary placements can turn into permanent ones, so it's good that I turned in my (new and improved) academic/research resume instead of my general/temp one. Also, their placements tend to be full time, which is also good news.

You know, somebody, or maybe a couple of people told me a while ago that a) I should register with temp agencies b) temping at UCSF can be a foot in the door to a permanent position. But it's taken me that long to get there. It's like I have to learn everything the hard way. Oh well. I guess you don't forget when you learn it the hard way.


Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com