The Weather and Everyone's Health
Thursday, April 14, 2005
 
Maybe I shouldn't give up caffeine, after all.

So today would have been day 10 of my having given up coffee and soda and sticking to no more than 1-2 cups of tea per day (excluding herbal teas which are caffeine free). But I had a cup of coffee this morning.

I haven't really gotten enough sleep the last two nights. Usually if I'm not drinking coffee regularly and I have some (especially on an empty stomach, especially if I haven't slept enough) I'll feel kinda buzzed/wired. But today actually I just feel kinda normal. And I think I have a better attitude/energy than I've had in a few days (that post down there is yesterday's non-caffeinated thoughts). Better attitude/energy--> greater productivity. hmm.

I mean, clearly this indicates that I was more hooked on the stuff than I had thought--when I was in school and would have coffee to stay up and study during midterms, then it would take me about 2 weeks to "detox" and feel normal again after giving it up.

On the other hand, I think my skin cleared up some (both in terms of pimples and rashes/general irritation) right after I quit and there is a link now between caffeine and diabetes. hmm. Not really good for your teeth either, I think.

Is it worth the risk? Should I go back to detoxing, or go back to moderate (1 cup/day) coffee intake to keep up productivity and morale? I could quit again when I have a job (and after the first couple months/years of the job when they know I'm a good worker...)


Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com