The Weather and Everyone's Health
Friday, July 15, 2005
 
It really does make a difference:

I just ate a little cup of Lucerne (Safeway brand) low-fat pre-stirred strawberry yogurt. Not only did it taste bleh and have a distinct jello-like taste, but I think it has given me a headache.

Let's take a look:
Calories 240 (for a cup of yogurt??!!!)
Calories from fat 25 (not so bad)

Ingredients (are you ready?): Cultured pasteurized grade a fat free milk, grade A milk, strawberry base (high fructose corn syrup, sugar, strawberries, water, natural flavors, modified food stach, red 40) modified food starch, kosher gelatin.

We can only pray that kosher gelatin is also vegetarian. Did you notice how the first ingredient in the "strawberry base" was high fructose corn syrup aka DEATH?

Let's compare that with the Cascade Farms low-fat yogurt (they also have fat-free, but I'm trying to be fair).

Calories 140 (the nonfat is 110)
Calories from fat 18

INGREDIENTS: cultured grade A pasteurized nonfat milk (with active cultures), fruit juice concentrate (peach, pear, pineapple, and apple), fruit, natural fruit flavor and color, tapioca, pectin.

ahh, the relief. I guess I'll be buying my individual yogurt cups at Whole Foods from now on.

Remember:
All yogurt cups are not equal. Always read labels!

May the force be with you.


Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com