The Weather and Everyone's Health
Monday, July 11, 2005
 
My new favorite toy!

The weekly Piano Puzzler from NPR's Performance Today (PT).

"Ever play "name that tune"? Composer Bruce Adolphe (left) has added a PT twist to the game. Every Wednesday, he re-writes a popular melody in the style of a classical composer and challenges a listener -- teamed with host Fred Child -- to identify both."

I used to listen to PT all the time when my station was WNIU/WNIJ from DeKalb. KQED doesn't carry PT (or if they do it's at some undogly hour) but the classical station from Sacramento State just might. Anyway, I guess they started doing these puzzles in 2002 (I stopped listening in 1999) and there are over 90 in the archive! I know how I'm going to survive work this week (gotta keep something interesting in the ears, or else the data entry stops on account of boredom and distraction).

It's like a game that was designed just for me! Only I haven't been listening to as much classical music lately, so I'm a little rusty around the edges (in fact, the way I stumbled across the Piano Puzzler is because I was on PT's website today because I was in the mood for "classical"). Nevertheless, I fully intend to submit my name and hope they call me some time so I can play. Some of them are pretty tough--I can more often get the composer than the tune, but at least he seems to like showtunes, which works to my advantage.


Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com