The Weather and Everyone's Health
Monday, October 31, 2005
 
I am currently reading John LeCarre's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, called by some "the best espionage novel ever written."

I just wish I could follow it. It's been a reassuringly long time since I read a piece of fiction I had this much trouble with, though I did it not infrequently as a kid. I think what's making it so difficult for me is not the many characters and their stories--I am pleased so far with my ability to keep track of them--but rather all the jargon in use. Some of it is specific to London in the 70s (e.g. types of hats, cars) and some to spies (e.g. roles of spy support staff: "lamplighters," baby-sitters"). I'm spending a lot of energy decoding these (though there are sometimes clues) and I think that detracts from my ability to really get my teeth into the intricacies of the plot.

A glossary would be very useful!

I hear there's a BBC mini-series version starring Alec Guinness as the hero and Patrick Stewart (!!!) as the villain, so I may just have to see that. I hope I can follow it, though.


Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com