The Weather and Everyone's Health
Friday, December 16, 2005
 
And let's not even talk about the "War on Christmas"
because I will vomit.

I'll let Jon Carroll explain it to you:
"Some ignorant people have decided that "Xmas" is part of the "war on Christmas," which is an ill-defined but fiercely held belief that secular cultural forces have combined to make Christmas less meaningful. One proof of that is the phrase "happy holidays" -- and if you'd told me a decade ago that I'd live in a world where "happy holidays" would become a flash point of controversy, I would have asked for a damp washcloth and nine Valiums.

I am unable to discern a war on Christmas, at least Christmas as I have known it. There are sparkling lights and little bells and jolly Santas and yule logs and Christmas carols and creches, creches, creches. In the supermarket, I am enjoined to come and adore him, born the king of angels, and I do not believe that they're singing about Santa -- who, as the Christian St. Nicholas, was a rather less jolly fellow than he is now. I do not notice who is wishing me "happy holidays" and who is wishing me "merry Christmas," because the operative words for me are "merry" and "happy," and for those thoughts much thanks. "

And here's another perspective, from someone's blog:
"If you see me in the next few days and I say “Happy Holidays,” keep in mind that it’s just a platitude and a formality, okay? If you want to make a big deal about it, I’ll be happy to let you know what I really think. "


In other news, the heat for the system wasn't working when I came in and someone emailed us all that the building tech people were on leave and the person filling in was really busy, so I thought "Great! Maybe our boss will decide it's too cold and send us all home early with a full day's pay" but the heater is now making noise. Ah, well.

Today's Friday Five question is really waaaay out there (thanks's Gord!), so I probably won't do it, but maybe I will make up my own question and answer it.


Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com