The Weather and Everyone's Health
Thursday, December 22, 2005
 
Health update:
Seems like those sick people I told you about are mending slowly, or at least not getting worse. Let's just hope that we all have the sense to rest when we need it. As for myself, sinuses feel fine today, thanks for asking. Maybe they were reacting to the change in weather? The bad news is I now have one of those zits you get in your ear. Don't you just hate those? Oh, and I remembered to take my multivitamin today.

The Weather:
Still rainy, temps forcasted in the 50s and 60s, which makes it a little warm to wear my peacoat, though it is a very good thing to wear against the rain. I am noticing that all this temperate humidity is making smells more smellable. When this happens in the spring, it is a good thing because a lot of the smells that are around are flower and growing plant smells. However, currently I am getting a lot of wet dog and old B.O.-type smells emerging from my sofa cushions.

In other weather-related news, Happy Belated Solstice! I think it was yesterday, or maybe the day before.

So, many years ago I decided to observe the Spring Equinox by sending or posting a poem that summed up a Spring sentiment (originally there was one by a Bronte sister I liked, then some by Housman--though he can be a bit broody for Spring--and Hopkins, and most recently Tagore). This last couple of years I have tried to do the same with Fall.

So, given that we had this Solstice thingy yesterday I decided to see what I could find. You know what? No one really likes winter as far as I have found. The few poems about winter at best describe it, but never celebrate it. Most winter-related poems I found were about hunkering down, or otherwise coping with the cold and precipitation. Even the pagan celebration of the Winter Solstice is about the rebirth of light in the darkest times--it's not really about enjoying the dark or cold. Which makes sense, I guess, if you consider that the environment that we are adapted to is mostly not cold and dark and that we need flowering plants to survive. (if anyone out there knows of a cultural variation in which the dark and/or cold are celebrated, please do let me know) (and here's a fun list of winter holidays)

So, here are a couple of winter poems:

ORCHARD TREES, JANUARY by Richard Wilbur

It's not the case, though some might wish it so
Who from a window watch the blizzard blow

White riot through their branches vague and stark,
That they keep snug beneath their pelted bark.

They take affliction in until it jells
To crystal ice between their frozen cells,

And each of them is inwardly a vault
Of jewels rigorous and free of fault,

Unglimpsed until in May it gently bears
A sudden crop of green-pronged solitaires.


A GLEE FOR WINTER by Alfred Domett (1811–87)

HENCE, rude Winter! crabbed old fellow,
Never merry, never mellow!
Well-a-day! in rain and snow
What will keep one’s heart aglow?
Groups of kinsmen, old and young,
Oldest they old friends among;
Groups of friends, so old and true
That they seem our kinsmen too;
These all merry all together
Charm away chill Winter weather.

What will kill this dull old fellow?
Ale that ’s bright, and wine that ’s mellow!
Dear old songs for ever new;
Some true love, and laughter too;
Pleasant wit, and harmless fun,
And a dance when day is done.
Music, friends so true and tried,
Whisper’d love by warm fireside,
Mirth at all times all together,
Make sweet May of Winter weather.

On that note, I had some people over for board games last night. I often worry that the games will detract from actual talking and getting to know people, but my impression was that the game actually helped promote interaction among people who didn't all know each other. I had a good time, anyway--a couple of times I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. But the winner, far and away, was Trader Joe's frozen Mixed Berry Streudel. High scores on taste, texture, freshness, ease of preparation and low price ($2.49). How can you compete with that?


Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com