The Weather and Everyone's Health
Tuesday, May 09, 2006
 
A Quarter Century
Well, no Housman this time, and no reflective thoughts coming to mind at the moment. It's sunny outside, I'm pretty happy, and I'm having lunch with someone whose company I consistently enjoy.

So far I have received 3 e-cards, 1 e-mail and 2 phone calls :-) I am getting a present but I don't know what it is...oooh, the mystery! The suspense! I actually have not been able to wrestle out even a clue.

I have to tutor tonight until 8, so I'm not doing any partyish thing, though I may later.

I should mention that I am now the proud owner of half a car! It's a white Corolla that we drove back from LA yesterday (stopping to visit Solvang, the Danish Capital of America, which features the Hans Christian Andersen museum). It gets excellent gas mileage--we went more than 350 miles without having to fill up, and the tank takes 10 gallons. I feel like my math must be wrong somewhere, but there you go. The engine is still in its "break-in" period, so driving it up from LA was probably not the best thing to do, but we tried to follow the guidelines in the owners manual, such as driving slowly and gently when possible, avoiding hard stops and sudden accelerations, and not towing a trailer.

It feels strange to get a car when gas prices are so high and I have some philosophical issues with cars, but on the other hand there are times when having a car is really necessary for independence and productivity. I'm going to try to use it only moderately and walk, bike or take transit when possible. Still working on a name for it. Leaning toward Chester, for no good reason (nickname: Chet?).

If time, more about the weekened later.


Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com