The Weather and Everyone's Health
Tuesday, September 19, 2006
 
A "Strange" Night
I will not disclose do you the exact hours I slept and did not sleep last night, but I can't really find a pattern. The worst part was after I decided to get up and try to get some things done since I felt alert. I wanted to charge my phone and use my laptop at the same time, so I tried to plug in my power strip (using the adapter, of course) but there was a scary popping sound and a spark and I blew the circuit, so I had no more power in my room for the rest of the night/morning.

I finished unpacking and read more of "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell." Let me tell you, if you are awake and disoriented in the middle of the night in a strange country, you do not want to be reading the last third of that book. Gets very dark and has a frighteningly convincing view of what it's like to go crazy. However, I did like the ending very much and am looking forward to the two parts that I have heard are to follow. I hope that's true.

Just as it was getting light outside I crashed and slept too late to go to the orientation that was this morning (don't worry, there are two more this week). I did manage to turn in my check-in sheet to the housing office and fill out a repair form. I went to see if I could use the on-campus computer center, but I can't until I've been through registration, which is not until tomorrow for my program. But I was able to buy virus protection software for 3 pounds (!!!) since the school has a site license. How cool is that? And in my change I got my first 2 pound coin, which was pretty interesting. I think the design has something to do with Sir Isaac Newton. Anyway I spent that on a breakfast of samosas and tea, and just as I was finishing that in my room the repairman came and all he had to do was flip the circuit back on. My hero!

I am a little afraid now of my laptop melting or exploding and of being cut-off again because I am still clinging to emails from friends and family. At least if something happens after tomorrow I can use the computer center.

Still, after breakfast and the repair man, I think I feel the most optimistic that I have since I got here. Now if I can only stay awake...


Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com