The Weather and Everyone's Health
Saturday, November 04, 2006
 
Long Lost Fruits
So, in Southall today I found chiku (aka sapota) in the grocery store. I haven't had one since possibly 1991, but sometimes the seeds of a pear will make me think of them, and certain tree leaf smells will too. I bought four and have eaten one; it was perfectly ripe and just as I expected/remembered/hoped. How often does that ever happen in life? Interestingly, Wikipedia says chiku is native to Mexico but was introduced to the Phillipines via the Spanish, from where it presumably migrated to the subcontinent. Hmm. There are cases of new world crops becoming South Asian staples, such as chile peppers, potatoes, etc. So I suppose it's not impossible. But surprising, yes!

I almost saw "Umrao Jaan" at the cinema there, but I found out it was the re-make, not the original. I mean, $12 and 3 hrs. Naaah. For a classic, sure.


Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com