The Weather and Everyone's Health
Friday, November 10, 2006
 
Oops, did I miss a day?
Well, yesterday was a busy day. I found out that I'll have 4 10-page papers due pretty much on the same day, January 11, so I then I freaked out for a while. I hope I can finish maybe two by Dec. 15th. I don't really want this hanging over my head over xmas.

In other news, I went to Tesco instead of Sainsbury on Wednesday, and it's usually a mistake because Sainsbury's isn't that much more expensive and you can get better quality and more variety there. So besides the general pantsness of Tesco, I also had to experience the specific running-out-of-crumpetsness at Tesco, which was rather upsetting. I'm sure they had some in the back, but just hadn't sent someone to re-stock yet. Some other shoppers looking in the same area shared my disgruntlement.

In the end I got a package of pikelets (pictured above), which are like crumpets, but flatter. If you imagine a crumpet as a cylinder, then you can imagine a pikelet as a cylinder with about the same radius (maybe a slightly larger radius), but only a pancake's height. They taste about the same, maybe a tiny bit saltier.

In other good news, my girlfriend sent me a package full of comforting and useful things, including my wok! Which is good news because I bought a boatload of veg on Tuesday intending to stirfry, but my pan is very thin and not great for stir-frying in. I'm going to try two different kinds: Kung Pao-style with peanuts, garlic, etc. and Hunan???-style with cabbage(well, brussels sprouts), snow peas (which they call mangetout here, bizarrely), carrots, water chestnuts and a lighter sauce. I did also buy some Tesco stir-fry sauce the time before when I was there and it's not bad, actually.



Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com