The Weather and Everyone's Health
Monday, February 26, 2007
 
Time to get started on my paper

So of course I am here telling you about the book I just finished, The Devil Wears Prada. I had seen the movie and been intrigued about the book, and then when I was at the Uxbridge public library a few weeks ago it was out there on display, so I picked it up.

I have to say, this is one of the rare cases when I like the movie better than the book. I am going to assume anyone who is reading this or cares has seen the movie and/or knows the premise, so I'm not going to summarize.

Why does Andy stay in her job that she hates in an industry she doesn’t believe? This is the real question about values that the book doesn’t answer well but that the movie does answer well. We keep hearing that “a million girls would die for [that] job”—but Andy doesn’t think she would. She’s not attracted to the glamour, she’s not interested in clothes, the money’s not great, but she does take advantage of the perks. The place where it gets tricky is that she is partly sucked in by the glamour and the perks, and the argument that she makes in the book is that for this one year of sacrifice she will be able to get ahead in her career as a writer—to skip 3 years of drudgery as an assistant in publishing or a related field. The movie adds resonance to the title in the scene with Andy and Miranda in the car together when it is made clear that Andy is put in a Faustian position—I am not sure the narrator/author understood it as clearly. But if that were really the reason, she would have quit sooner and realized that she would rather spend 3 years in a sane job to advance in her field than give up her entire life for this one year. So that’s not really the reason she stays, even though she thinks it is. Andy stays because is hooked on the external validation that Miranda dangles before her, plain and simple—her own as well as that of other influential people like Christian or publishers, celebrities, etc. When Miranda berates her personally, Andy does question her own worth, and that is what makes her work harder to impress Miranda instead of realizing that what she’s being asked to do grates against her own priorities. She confuses being competent (or supercompetent as Miranda demands of her) with having an internal worth. By the end of the book and movie Andy aligns herself with her priorities, putting her friends and family above the temptations of glamour, celebrity and influence, but it is still not clear that she understands the difference between performance/ability and worth. Paul Simon put it this way “You want to be a leader?You want to change the game? Turn your back on money/Walk away from fame./You want to be a missionary?Got that missionary zeal? Let a stranger change your life/ How’s it make you feel? You want to be a writer/ But you don’t know how or when? Find a quiet place, use a humble pen.”

Here is Roger Ebert’s review, http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060629/REVIEWS/60620007/1023 which I thought was very good. By the way, please notice that he agrees with me in noticing Meryl Streep plays the character as “part dominatrix.” It’s all in how she wields the carrot/stick of her approval.

(I know this is long and rambling and repetitive and pseudo-deep, but I just wrote it to let off some steam. Maybe if I am even more bored and procrastinating another day I will edit it into tidiness.)

Anyway, what I have learned about myself from reading this book (and also Running With Scissors, Dry, and Reading Lolita in Tehran) is that while I can find memoirs/autobiographical fiction very interesting, it probably doesn’t suit my needs at this time because a) the writing style is usually not as appealing to me as fiction/literature b) if someone writes a story about his/her life, usually something dramatic and often terrible has happened to him/her c)it’s non-fiction, so whatever bad thing happened really happened, and the ending isn’t in the book, but the person is out there living it somewhere. I’m finding that because of b) and c) above I will no longer checking this type of book out from the library because because my main reading time is before going to bed. I find I tend to stay up to finish the books because I want to see what happens/how it ends and the sentence structures* are simple enough not to get in my way, and then something awful happens, and then it’s not really resolved at the end, and I am up way past my bed time.

*This is not a problem with Jane Austen because sometimes the real pleasure in reading her work is admiring the sentence structures, and I find if I’m too sleepy to appreciate them, I’ll stop and go to sleep.

Labels: , ,



Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com