The Weather and Everyone's Health
Thursday, March 08, 2007
 
Hmm.
So, as you may know. I hate loud noises. When I need to sleep or study in my room, I work within my circle of influence and stick foam earplugs or music in my ears. I recently bought some new earplugs, but you know what? my ears are getting sick and tired of earplugs and I don't really like the way they feel. But I use them anyway, because otherwise I would be up 10 times during the night with my fists curled in impotent rage. That would be sad. So I use earplugs.

Of course, there are a few sounds that can penetrate even those helpful bits of foam. They come across as dull thuddy noises, and as long as I can will myself to fall asleep despite them they generally don't bother me (i.e. wake me up if I'm already asleep). These noises are caused either by someone in the kitchen slamming cupboards, by the stupid idiot downstairs (not sure if he's in the room below me or the kitchen below me) who likes to slam something rhythmically, or by doors slamming.

There are a few doors in this flat that slam really loudly--they make things in my room shake and occasionally fall off shelves, cause my eyes to rattle in my head, and make me feel like I've been slapped. As much as I'd like to blame my flatmates (several of them are pathologically noisy in their actions), I think this is probably due to the hinge mechanism on the doors in question that need tightening. My own door hinge works correctly to slow the closing door and make it close quietly. I do not know which doors are the culprits, but I have had my suspicions. Often the slam is followed by a shuffling footstep down the hall and into the kitchen. I'm pretty sure I know who the shufflers who live halfway down the hall from the kitchen are...

Anyway, it's a stupid thing, and I know it, and there's not really much anyone could reasonably do about it (though I hadn't thought until just now of complaining to the maintenance department in case they can fix the door-swing-mechanisms). Tonight I was feeling a little less tolerant than usual because I've had a long day with not quite as much sleep as I'd like, a later dinner than I'd like, and a long commute to tutor only an hour. So after hearing repeated slams, I stuck my head out to see who it was--mostly out of curiousity.

Guess what?

It was my quiet, studious, next-door flatmate who shares my interests in working hard, minding her own business, going to the gym, rising early, etc etc. A flatmate after my own heart. I couldn't possibly be upset with her for the actions of her door, and I was embarrassed that I had considered asking her to try to close it quietly.

So maybe this is a sign to me from some higher power to get over it already. I will, as soon as my eyes stop rattling in my head.

Labels: , ,



Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com