The Weather and Everyone's Health
Thursday, March 22, 2007
 
Yup.
Right, so I believe that yesterday was the equinox, the first official day of Spring. Normally I try to post a relevant poem to commemorate the occasion, but seeing as we had more flurries this morning, I'm not feeling so inclined, y'know?

Did see the most amazing new moon the other night. In the wrong part of the sky, I might add! If I could see the sun, it would probably be setting in a different part from usual, too. Strange latitude effects and stuff.

Anyway, I will use this time to discuss a couple of new movies based on Novels of the South Asian Diaspora. Briefly. I have read two good reviews of The Namesake, so I am feeling optimistic about that and think I would like to see it. What really sold me was the picture that accompanied the stories--a shot of the family at the Taj; parents clearly Indian, kids clearly ABCDs. All of it conveyed in a still picture. Part of what caught my imagination was the prospect of seeing that particular South Asian Diasporic experience brought to the screen with a degree of verisimilitude. I really got it from the photo and from the reviews, so like I said I think I may be looking forward to the movie rather than bracing for disaster and cringing and wincing.

On the other hand...Mistress of Spices?? wtf. Forget it. What were they thinking? But it might be interesting since it's set in Oakland. Has it even been released yet? Bracing! Cringing! Wincing!

PS Did I mention that I read The Inheritance of Loss? That was pretty good.


Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com