The Weather and Everyone's Health
Wednesday, June 06, 2007
 
It's official: this country is spiritually bankrupt
Real actual commercial:

Woman, contemplating buying her husband a TV (for father's day?): Hmm, do you think he'll like it?

Talking blue light bulb: No. He'll LOVE it! And he'll love you. Nothing says love to a man like a hi-def TV. And it might even get you something from over there (indicating jewelery counter).

I swear this was an actual commercial I saw today. I don't remember the store, but the mascot/logo is a talking blue light bulb. If someone made this as a satirical commercial about the problems with Conventional Wisdom* values in America today, they would be accused of being over the top. But this was an actual commercial. Buy your husband's love with...a TV! And he'll reward you with...jewelery! If you're lucky! WHAT THE FLYING F?

I don't know how we got into this situation, and I don't know what it will take to get out. But you know what? If all it takes is the Church of England, the monarchy and the BBC, you can sign me up.


*The good news of course is that we're not really a culturally homogeneous nation where everyone shares the same values and of course very few people literally believe what their TV tells them. But I think it's a slow leaching poison.


Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com