The Weather and Everyone's Health
Friday, May 09, 2008
 
Checking in
Quo sumus nunc? Quo vadimus?

In a few months, I'll have two masters degrees and yet never have held a salaried full-time job in my field (unless you count the funded graduate study I begin next year). I feel like I have a clear and consistent sense of direction and a reliable momentum in that direction, but I also recognize that there are many possible endpoints to this trajectory, and many of those could be considered success; also, that the trajectory may alter course at any point, though as each point in time passes, the range of possible outcomes narrows.

I have a sinking feeling that the 90s are about to become "retro" and that 90s music is about to appear on oldies stations. I feel like I will die of shock when that happens, but I know somehow life will go on. I still don't understand how people born in 1990 could be graduating high school now. Does not compute.

I have a single white hair that keeps coming back, but it is on my chin. If everything goes according to plan, I will soon not have any more hairs on my chin. Until after menopause.

In terms of upper body strength, muscle tone, flexibility and aerobic stamina I am probably in the best shape I have been in my entire life, but I still need to lose 10 lbs to get back to my best adult weight.

I think there is One Love, and all the loves we experience are reflections of it. Don't push me on the ontology of that, but there is a sense in which I think it is absolutely true, to the extent that I think anything is absolutely true.

Ahem.

If you had been thinking of marking this event with a gift to me, but didn't know what, may I propose the following (and if you hadn't been thinking of it, don't start, especially if you are spending money to attend the graduation next month):

Labels:



Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com