The Weather and Everyone's Health
Friday, May 30, 2008
 
So I started wondering if I should get my nose pierced or something. So people would know that I'm Indian. That I own it, that I relate culturally, not just genetically. But I don't like having piercings, and I think having one in my nose would drive me crazy, especially with my allergies.

On the other hand, maybe I don't need to. A few days ago I stopped at El Sombrero Taqueria in Berkeley to grab a burrito. It looked a little bit different inside. The salsa bar was gone (very sad). Then I noticed a blackboard behind the counter informing me that Pakistani and Indian Food Now Available!--3 or 4 things, Chicken Tikka etc. But taco/burrito menu was still up on the wall. Then finally someone came out to take my order (I think they were about to close) and it was this South Asian guy who met my look of recognition with one of his own. I ordered the vegetarian burrito and he said "Leke jaana?" I was surprised enough that I answered in Hindi that yes, I did want it to go.

So maybe I don't need a piercing. At least not for South Asian people. What about white people? How will they know I'm not white, or that I haven't been here for so many generations that I might as well be? I could get some kind of tattoo, maybe one that looks like henna or something, but I think that smacks too much of hipsterism and fetishizing forms of orientalism. I mean, I suppose then if I did it--and somehow people knew that I did so knowingly--it could be some kind of ironic post-modern commentary on blah blah blah. But that's not really what I'm trying to say. Plus, if I don't like piercings, why would I like a tattoo?

I actually think it would be easier if I had a kid or kids. Then we could do all the holidays for them, and read them the Ramayana and Mahabharat and make sure they knew the language and food etc. But kids are a lot of work.

Maybe I will just cook more Indian food at home. And I added the "What kind of Desi are you" app on Facebook.


Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com